Re: no eth0 connection-redux

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 10:06:04AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 20:55:12 -0400 (EDT), Tom Furie wrote:
> >
> > Thread wasn't broken here. The References: header in Robert's mail
> > indicates that it was indeed a reply (to his original post on this
> > thread).
>
> Perhaps I need to explain what I mean by "broken thread".
> The original post was in March.  This is April.  The Debian mailing
> list archives don't allow a thread to span months.  Thus, a reply to
> a message from a previous month has the same effect as starting a new
> thread, as far as the Debian archives are concerned.  There were
> April messages he could have replied to, such as this one:
>
>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/04/msg00156.html

TBH, I didn't see any evidence of a broken thread. Mutt shows a broken
thread with an asterisk in the arrow symbol.

A poster shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make the archives look
good, IMHO.

IOW, how the archive software handles things, shouldn't influence
posting style.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X