Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE

On 06/04/14 12:26, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 05 April 2014 22:12:15 ray wrote:
>>> Which desktop manager are you using?
>>
>> I appologize as I am new to Linux I may need some help in the
>> terminology.  Please  help me understand 'which desktop manager'.
>
> Yes.  If you are running GNOME you have probably, though no
> necessarily, got gdm - gnome desktop manager. Lisi

Lisi,
As Tom has already mentioned, you quite likely mean *display* rather
than *desktop* manager. And in the case of gdm, apt-cache show gdm3
tells us among other things:

"Description-en: Next generation GNOME Display Manager
GDM provides the equivalent of a "login:" prompt for X displays: it
asks for a login and starts X sessions."

---

Ray,

> I think I am using Gnome; I am using the default, it has the menus at
> the top like Gnome where KDE has them at the bottom and I have not
> found any way to determine which GUI I actually have.
>
> ray
If you are in Gnome, a GUI way of finding out is to take one of the many
ways (right-click on background, or press Win key and type settings, or
from the user menu, or... ) to go to Settings --> Details and it'll say
in big bold letters Gnome X.x.x and other stuff.
Sorry, can't help with KDE, never seen it myself.

Or you open a terminal, and look at /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
and see where it points to, which in my case yields

$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 16 22:09
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager -> /usr/bin/gnome-session

It also still looks like you haven't found how & where to switch between
different desktop environments, eg. Gnome <--> KDE. No need to reboot,
just log out, and once you are back at the login screen, select your
user name and enter the password, but before clicking login there is
another (dropdown?) menu from which you can select the "session". Can
you see your newly installed KDE in the list?

--
Klaus