Re: mbox files - can they be "compacted"?

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 02:10:09PM +0200, Rafał Radecki wrote:
>    Hi All ;)
>    Is there an option to compact large mbox files from the shell? I did not
>    find anything in google, I have some very large constantly updated mbox
>    files and would like to know if they can be made smaller with any tool.
>    AFAIK mutt does such operation when for example an email is deleted but I
>    am curious if there are other options.

What do you mean by "compacting"? If you are talking about gzipping
it, then you can just gzip your mboxes. If you want Mutt to directly
read/write gzipped mboxes, you can check the "gzipped mboxes" section
here:
http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/storage/

Do note that this might slow down access to the files, since it has to
compress/decompress the mbox each time you want to read or write it.

HTH.

Kumar
--
If a 'train station' is where a train stops, what's a 'workstation'?