Puzzled: synaptic wants to install 'unauthenticated' ssh (and others)

List, I must have done something odd or, maybe, missed a Debian release certificate change, or something. But I'm not sure how to reinstate security for software upgrades or installations.

Wheezy 64, using synaptic, on a laptop with a pretty normal set of desktop applications. Synaptic marked a few items as 'upgradeable', maybe a dozen, including openssh and iceweasel. Asked synaptic to apply the upgrades, and it replies with a text box warning that some upgrades cannot be authenticated. Among those are openssh client and server, and iceweasel; the list of unauthenticatable items pretty much matches the list of items that synaptic has marked as upgradeable.

The last changes I did were to install (a few minutes before) a 386 architecture, through apt and synaptic, without encountering any authentication issues. In the meantime I've declined any more changes. How best should I get back to a state where synaptic's updates are authenticated?

Grateful for any pointers,

regards, Ron