Wine not full screen

After installing lxde and gnome desktops on wheezy, wine no longer changes the resolution to be full screen. It instead opens in a little subsection of the display in the upper left corner. Switching between windowed mode and non windowed mode doesn't change the desktop resolution.

I thought it might be something lightdm was doing, so I stopped lightdm and launched startx. Same deal.

The game I am trying to run scrolls based on mouse position at the edge of the screen, so playing in a virtual desktop isn't optimal.

Any Ideas?