Re: no eth0 connection

On 20140402_2236-0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:31:54PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > I seem to remember this happening after an update but I'm not positive.
> > It did work before. My wireless connection continues to work.
> >
> > Looked at the usual suspects, /etc/ network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf,
> > etc but everything looked the same as before as close as I remember.
> >
> > Searching on the subject line turns up a lot of hits but nothing I tried
> > produced a connection.
> >
> > Didn't see anything applicable in dmesg but I may have missed it.
> >
> > ifup eth0 gives "Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0
> >
> > Running Debian 7.4 on a Lenovo t420 w/ 4G RAM and an Intel i3.
> >
> > Being pretty ignorant about networking, I'm at a loss as to where to
> > begin trouble shooting. Any pointers appreciated.
>

> Embarrassing admission: It looks like a bad ethernet cable. I thought I
> had checked for that, but I guess not.

A common failure mode in cables is metal fatigue due to flexing in one or
more of the interior metal conductors. If the act of checking flexes the
cable in such a way that the broken ends are pushed back into contact,
the test fails to detect the broken condition. Embarassing? No. Just
bad luck. Maybe try to put the cable under tension while testing, but
than can be hard to do in a cramped installation space.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net