[OT] Sending money through the post (was ... Re: Users Not Receiving List Mail)

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:18:17AM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2014 08:05:51 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > You can't send money through the post
>
> Since when?  An elderly relative used often to do so.  (She is dead
> now, hence the past tense.)

Ahh! Should have googled¹ first! :) I was under the impression that the
letters were scanned. Our notes have ... (checking a recent $10.00 bill)
... CORRECTION *had* a vertical metalic strip!) which would be picked up
by the scanner. I was under the impression you were fined if you were
caught. Looks like I've been had, again. Just like when I thought that a
Brontosaurus was a dinosaur. :(

No bonus points for me. :(

¹ Although, it is a common misconception.
But, according to:
http://www.leftovercurrency.com/sending-your-currency/sending-money-banknotes-coins-by-mail.html
'In most countries it is perfectly legal to send money in the mail. ...
In some countries there are restrictions on sending money in the mail.
These countries have laws in place that either forbid sending money
through their postal network, or limit it to a maximum amount. If your
country is in the list, please consult the applicable laws before
sending money in the mail ...' Although I could not see any list.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X