OT: visible TLS config (was: About not receiving email)

On 04/04/2014 02:06, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Your mail setup is a little, um, odd; *no* TLS configured or SPF
records, and other [...]

Sorry to go off-topic but, since I'm in the process of setting up a new domain and mailserver, could I ask how you 'knew' or were able to 'see' that a mailserver has 'no TLS configured'?

On a new installation, I've set mx records, and have SPF records which pass the SPF test. I'd hadn't understood how or where to make TLS visible, other than simply letting the MTA use TLS whenever it could, and it would be visible on the initial SMTP connection.

Did you mean there is a setting in the DNS records intended for TLS reception or preference? (The server isn't handling any mail, yet, in part because I haven't cracked certificate signing, which I'm also learning about.) I just wondered how you detected that a server wasn't configured for TLS.

regards, Ron