Re: Users Not Receiving List Mail

On Thu 03 Apr 2014 at 07:33:04 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 08:32:01PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > Basically - you get the mail we decide you get. Don't complain, it is good
> > for you. So much for freedom of communication.
>
> You are entirely free to run your own mailserver. (Not a snark: that's exactly
> what I do).

I do the same but for historical reasons and to some extent convenience
collect some of my mail from my ISP.

> I used to be a co-administrator for the mail gateways at a large English
> University. In common with most Universities, email was an essential part of
> core business. That business would be hugely adversely impacted if we did not
> filter mail. Something like 95% of incoming mail was rejected. Many tests and
> research experiments were carried out on rejections to test false positives,
> false negatives, etc. and this was not an egregious amount of rejection.

I'm not without sympathy or understanding for the situation you describe
and recognise that a good deal of high quality professional care is
devoted to the handling of mail. We see the same in the manner this list
is managed.

However, the relationship with an ISP is usually a different one in that
money has changed hands. Because of that I'd expect my mail not to be
interfered with. Unfortunately, too many ISPs are not particularly
forthcoming on how incoming mail is dealt with and very often offer no
way of escaping filtering.

Anyway, enough of that; I've taken the thread too far away from its
original purpose.