Re: Jessie Post-Install

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:49:07PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2014 11:57:03 Stephen Allen wrote:
> > In my opinion no - expecting new users to Debian to read an install
> > report is problematic. Using the net-install I wasn't prompted for
> > what I wanted in terms of a Desktop Environment. Xfce4 isn't what
> > most users with modern hardware would want in my opinion - it's a
> > Luddite DE.
> >
> > But not having wireless networking enabled is a deal breaker too -
> > especially since it was working during the install process. Not
> > many people using a laptop are going to have wired ethernet either.
> > <shrug>
>
> Newbies would be ill-advised to start off with Jessie, IMHO.  Stable
> is a better place to start, especially if the putative newbie has no
> help.

Disagree - most probably would want testing or SID. Stable is well
suited for someone installing a server. Most people would want modern
versions of software especially ones coming from XP. Sooner or later
they won't be happy with the behind versions of stable when on a desktop
or laptop.

> Newbies (Windows refugees, not Fedora refugees) are also more likely I
> would have thought to be installing with a DVD or USB key than with
> the net install CD.  And many people like Xfce4.

To each their own - most people that prefer Xfce4 were ones that
disliked the Gnome-Shell. I followed the discussion when it first came
out - been on this list for 10+ years. LOL