Re: how to show accented characters on console (not X)

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
Hi,
Running Sid. Right now accented characters on the console show up as blobs.

Substitution characters.

I get the same thing when I work on a virtual console (ctrl-alt-Fn, not a shell window) with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8. Except that, since the entire message is Japanese, it's most of the message, except for file names and such. So when I run, for instance, apt-get in a virtual console, I really have to read between the lines. (Or export LANG=en_US.UTF-8, which causes me to worry that some packages will fail to be updated with the correct language/locale settings.)

Yes, I need to fix that, but, for the present, I haven't had problems with X11 and XFCE4 dying on updates (in stable) like I did with Fedora.

How do I change that with console-setup?
The console-setup config has:

# CONFIGURATION FILE FOR SETUPCON

# Consult the console-setup(5) manual page.

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

CHARMAP="UTF-8"

CODESET="Lat15"
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="8x16"

VIDEOMODE=

# The following is an example how to use a braille font
# FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz brl-8x8.psf'

Hugo

--
Joel Rees