Re: Debian installs for the bandwidth limited (e.g. dialup)

Brian wrote:
On Mon 31 Mar 2014 at 08:13:17 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

I install from purchased DVD sets as I am on dialup.
I am also experimenting with how/what I install.
When in experiment mode I may make several installs in a day.
As there are only small differences between installs, I use
preseeding extensively.
I'm starting a new round after not doing much for a year.I'm being
reminded of the dearth of information aimed at those installing from
physical cd/dvd.

Some idea of what information is thought to be lacking would be useful.
It needn't be complete and comprehensive but that wouldn't be unwelcome.

It's not so much that the information isn't recorded, but that it's difficult to find. I've flagged over 300 posts and personal emails addressing various aspects of installing Debian. They are responses not only to my questions but also questions others have asked.

The types of questions that a single document or a coordinated documents should cover include { *NOTE* I've already found at least partial answers}:
  How to install with a preseed file
A. what parameters might be entered after "TAB to edit menu entry".
  B. Use of F2/F1 keys to enter missing instructions.
C. What can be preseeded that isn't mentioned in example preseed.cfg . And once you discover that some answers are in template files in some udeb,
     and how to discover the appropriate udeb.
{My current quandary - how do I disable installing ANT boot loader?}
D. Use of meta-packages (custom or not) to install only relevant software.
  E. etc. etc. ...

Is there anyone collecting this to one location?

You appear to be the only one doing so.

Doesn't surprise me.

I've got bits and pieces in correspondence and notes I made last
time around but I don't have composition skills to put in a form
suitable for a wiki/??? .

Truly, writing documentation is not always the easiest of tasks.