Re: When fogetting assigned login name rather than password

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 05:45:14AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> The complete hard drive is wiped at least once a month. I
> consistently use my name as the login on the first install of any
> series. The login of any subsequent install will be a mnemonic
> associated associated with the current experiment.
>
> I just tried to bring up an install without a GUI. I had forgotten
> the login name I had assigned a week ago. I solved the immediate
> problem by rebooting to the install on sda1 and using it to examine
> /etc/passwd on sda7.

On further thinking about this I have some questions.

You say "I just tried to bring up an install...", by this do you mean you
*have* installed and are trying to log in, or that you are now doing a
text mode install but have forgotten the previous username you used
so don't know what this username should be?

Cheers,
Tom

--
Without love intelligence is dangerous;
without intelligence love is not enough.