Re: Brand new install, now how do I play a Youtube video?

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Patrick Chkoreff <pc@loom.cc> wrote:
I recently installed Debian on this laptop.  Here's the detail:

$ uname -a
Linux laptop 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm using the IceWeasel browser, but I can't play a Youtube video.  I
don't want to install Flash because I just cannot stand Adobe.

I searched around and found this:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=51504

I did what they said there, namely:

$ sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer iceweasel-greasemonkey

Now IceWeasel shows a drop-down menu with a GreaseMonkey icon, and it is
enabled.

However, I still cannot watch any video on youtube.com.  When I click to
a video, it shows a black rectangle where the video should be, with the
message "An error occurred, please try again later."

I can right-click in the black rectangle, and I do see a pop-up menu
with options like "Movie Control / Play".  But it just doesn't work.

Is this Gnash/GreaseMonkey stuff really a viable alternative to Adobe
Flash?  Maybe resistance is futile here, and I just need to be
assimilated by Adobe.  Say it isn't so.

-- Patrick

Try the HTML5 feed youtube has. Doesnt need flash player at all.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Regards,
Mihira.