Re: Need suggestion about what's going on

On Thursday 06,March,2014 05:07 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 06/03/14 15:04, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use Ghostery with firefox.
>
> Ghostery, Firefox... Debian??
> Do you mean Iceweasel?

Yeah, It is Iceweasel, I mistook firefox == Iceweasel.

> I don't understand why people run Firefox in Debian... I run the latest
> Iceweasel - it's the same version as Firefox and any differences are to
> my advantage (mutter, mutter, sigh)   :)
>
>> So when I visited my own testing homepage,
>> the google analytic won't have a record. But I also keep a short script
>> to record who visited my homepage at the serve side.
>>
>> This morning, I opened my browser, just to read couple of news. And from
>> google analytic I noticed someone who visited my page around 10am. After
>> further check, it showed me it's exactly from my own laptop.
>> As indicated at 10:48:28
>>
>> 2014-03-06 10:48:28	172.21.100.159
>> 2014-03-06 11:04:12	172.21.100.159
>> 2014-03-06 11:08:51	172.21.100.159
>
> Are you certain that's *your* IP address?

Yes, my IP address doesn't change for really really long period. I guess
our center assigned fixed local ip.

>> I was surprise, certainly I didn't browse my homepage at that time,
>> neither I had some TAB opened in firefox, so I checked the history of
>> today from firefox, except couple of news-site I visited, I am sure that
>> I didn't visit my own page at that time.
>>
>> At 11:04:12 I visited my homepage, and I checked google analytics, it
>> didn't have my record, so the Ghostery still works very well. But later
>> surprisingly, at 11:08:51 there is another visit without my
>> real-involvement, and it is from my own laptop, but not from my opening
>> firefox.
>
> Now I'm confused - how do you "visit" your homepage without "opening
> firefox". Do you use ssh? If so, does your "script" not log that visit also?

I don't know which/who visited my homepage from my laptop without my
realization. That's what I confused.

>> I am confused. Any suggestion about what's going on.
>
> Sure - look at the difference between when you visited from that IP
> address, and when your log says you visited that IP address. If it's
> consistent (and I'd bet it was - if I was a gambler) then you'll
> probably find the difference is due to system time settings.
>
> If Ghostery doesn't trigger the Google Analytics javascript then I
> assume you are getting your script data from apache logs - so your visit
> would have to appear in the logs - if you visited twice then it should
> appear twice, if appeared three times *then* I'd be concerned.

I only visited once from Iceweasel. The script log record three times
from my laptop, and google analytics recorded two times.

>> Thanks with best regards,
>>

> Kind regards

Thanks,