Re: Check Update, Update and Port Blocking

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 07:09 -0500, PaulNM wrote:
   . . .
> On second though, I just re-read the OP's message.  He's talking about
> the firewall on the Comcast modem/router.  It's really rare for those
> types of devices to have outgoing filtering.
>
> However, according to:
> http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811.pdf
>
> It does filter outgoing, but high *does* allow 80, 443, and a bunch of
> common ports.  I really suspect dns/mirror issues, but it would probably
> be worth the OP's time to try dropping the firewall level and test again.

I've done a couple of such tests and I *think* check update works at the
lowest firewall level.  I do have a much more focused question: Does
either Check Update or Download Updates require FTP?  I have a suspicion
that Port 21 may be blocked at the higher firewall levels.

Thanks for any assistance,

--
Bill Wood