Re: Install debian on EFI hw

On 03/04/14 19:55, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 02:54:05PM +0100, ha wrote:
Last few weekends I've tried to install debian 7.2 from live DVD
(but booting from USB) on EFI hardware with GPT. I disabled EFI,
crated a small partition at the begging of the disk, and run the
usual installation process. However, at the end of installation I
always receive the message like: "Grub-pc package failed to install
into /target/".

Now, I solved this by booting to rescue mode, doing grub-install, chroot
into the instaled system and simply update grub. However, I found
this solution suboptimal when compared to classical debian
installation (utilizing MBR). So I wonder if anybody had experience
on how to avoid this recue-grub_install-chroot-grub_update
procedure?

Did anybody manage to automatically install debian on GPT?
Did anybody do it without disabling EFI (grub-efi perhaps)?
Or the only way to have the automated install is stick with MBR?

Thanks to anybody who cares.

Debian DVD1 / netinst .iso's both will allow you to boot from EFI and install
for Debian 7 Wheezy. I'm not sure whether the default install installs GPT on
smaller disks but it certainly worked when I tried it a while ago with no problems.

Excuse me, but what do you mean by "smaller disks"?

YOu may, however need to do an expert install rather than an automated install,
which I'd recommend anyway since it means that you have greater control over how
the install proceeds.

I didn't do fully automated install, I started a graphical installation from the live DVD. I will give the expert install a chance.

Hope this helps,

AndyC