Re: Firmware stuff - was systemd fight

On 03/03/2014 12:56 AM, Bret Busby wrote:Debian; why provision is not made, to allow software that runs on Debian 5, to run on Debian 6 and Debian 7.

As a single example, I have a multifunction printer, of which, the multifunctionality worked with Debian 5. Now, it is only a laser printer, running with Debian 6 - to use it to scan, I have to scan to a USB drive, and then copy the files to the computer, as Debian 6 (and, I believe, similarly, Debian 7) does not provide for the device to wotk with it, other than using a printer driver that is not for the particular model range, and, losing all other interfaced functionality.

Surely, it must be possible, to provide backward compatibility, to allow software that ran on earlier versions of Debian, to run on a current stable version?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

--doug