Re: Test

As much for other, future, "test" posters as for you.

On 02/03/14 20:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 06:29 +0000, Tom Furie wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 01:41:48AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> My apologies, I'm aware that no test mails should be send to the Debian
>>> user mailing list. If I reply (several times) I don't come through the
>>> list anymore. Some time ago I needed to reply 3 or 4 times and then one
>>> reply did came through the list. I wonder if mails will come through the
>>> list, when I don't reply, but send a new thread.
>>>
>>> This is an issue I've got with several mailing list when using Evolution
>>> MUA + using my Alice account.
>>>
>>> No postmaster messages, no error messages by the MUA :(.
>>
>> On further inspection, your first reply on that systemd thread arrived
>> here roughly fifteen minutes after you sent it, at about the same time
>> you were submitting your fourth attempt.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tom
>
> PS: I'll set up msmtp ASAP and then replace Evolutions SMTP thingy, to
> see if I get information about the issue.

Just a gentle suggestion Ralf, but maybe you could reduce your anxiety
(and the noise) by posting once, and then if that post doesn't show on
the web version of the list in 2 hours, post again. Note that messages
to the list *may* not be echoed on the web version of the list at the
same time - I'm not intimately familiar with the intricacies involved.
Also consider that your ISP (like many) may be using a transparent
cache, infrequently updated, to serve you pages from the web version of
the list - so it may be that your post is seen by other subscribers, but
not immediately published on the web version - and that what you see on
the web version may not accurately reflect the current web version (if
that makes sense).

NOTE: the list does send a message back if your post is rejected for any
reason - it should hit your email provider within minutes.
If you want to "test" your MUA why not set up a free email account with
some other provider and test post to it to diagnose problems with your
MUA and email provider?
Any problem with the list manager is likely to affect all posters, not
just you, so if you can see the posts of other in the web version of the
list yours should be there also. If your post is not there, and you've
seen the imap/smtp connection in netstat --inet, then you can reasonably
conclude (1x1 testing) that the problem lies with your email host. HTH.

Kind regards