Re: The case of the read-only USB sticks.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:38:34 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Sb, 22 feb 14, 14:33:24, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I have a problem with my USB sticks mysteriously becoming read-only.
>
> You didn't provide any information about make, model, size,
> partitioning, file systems, etc. Also the relevant lines from syslog
> when you plug in the stick are very useful for diagnosing.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thank you.  I will investigate and provide syslog data for the old read-
only sticks and the new writable ones when I get the chance.

Of the old USB sticks -- the ones that turned read-only -- I currently am
in possession of only one, and it worked fine  this morning if I am root
when I mount it and write it.  It's labelled Lexar USB3.0 64G.  I haven't
tried it on my wife's Mac since.

If I have to be root, perhaps it's some mount permission problem I'm
getting.

Of course it could be that I missed this one stick when I was trying the
old failing sticks last week and it's been OK all along.  Im going to
have to keep careful records.

The others I handed to a friend a few days ago, who said he wanted to try
them out on his equipment.  I'll see them again next Wednesdays.

-- hendrik