mount as read/write on demand

Hello everyone.

I am running some services in a remote headless system. the system runs debian 6.
I would like the system to be read only by default. in case of an update/upgrade I could run in read/write to process the job.
the filesystem is ext2 and it runs in a cf card.

I have seen voyage Linux that has this functionality but it misses kernel headers. It is a real pain to compile the headers in this underpowered box.

I would like to ask if someone could help me create a system read/write on demand.

Thanks in advance.