Re: Package Install Problem

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 03:09:51PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 13:57 +0000, Robin wrote:
> > After running dpkg -i do:
> > apt-get -f install
> > which should help resolve straightforward issues.
>
> Good idea, but perhaps the OP needs to run
>
> dpkg -i --force-depends PACKAGE

Not a good idea to recommend this! I've never needed to do this, and
would be reluctant to do so.

If the .deb is one that the OP "picked" up from off the net somewhere,
then do you still think that 'dpkg -i --force-depends PACKAGE' needs to
be run. Forcing something should be the last thing considered, and even
then *only* if you are competent and know what it will do and why you
are doing it.

The error messages (which the OP didn't include) from the output of the
dpkg -i PACKAGENAME would help here.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X