[SOLVED] Re: Missing resolutions, xrandr and nvidia

On 9 February 2014 23:16, Alex Naysmith <yeoman.python@gmail.com> wrote:
With Debian Wheezy installed, I have the Geforce 6800 GT graphics card. The screen flickers every few seconds with the default nouveau drivers. I therefore installed the version 304.88 nvidia drivers [1].

These drivers enable 3D acceleration as well as eliminate the screen flickering. However, I have a limited range of screen resolutions available.

I know 1680x1050 60Hz is available on my HDTV. When I try to use xrandr to add a new mode with the following commands..

xrandr --newmode "1680x1050_60.00"  146.25  1680 1784 1960 2240  1050 1053 1059 1089 -hsync +vsync

xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1680x1050_60.00

I get this error message:
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  18 (RRAddOutputMode)
  Serial number of failed request:  29
  Current serial number in output stream:  30

This is apparently due to the incompatibilities between xrandr and the nvidia compiled driver. Is anyone aware of a version of nvidia driver that does work with the Geforce 6800 GT?

I've found a solution!. The problem is that the HDTV [Toshiba 32BL702B] does not send any EDID information through the VGA socket. No EDID bytes were posted on the /var/log/xorg.0.log. Without the EDID data, the nvidia driver will not recognise the available resolutions and default to 640x480 or something similar.

Instead of using the VGA input on the HDTV, I connected to one of the HDMI inputs using a DVI-D to HDMI cable. The computer then received the EDID data and recognised all the available resolutions.