Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 07:55:38PM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Hello everyone, I have got some good news.
> The hdd is now back from the dead,alive and working well.

Alright!

> I went to my friend who had that casing. He attached my hdd to
> his windows 7 machine and as usual, it didn't show up.
>
> So I had a debian laptop with me , and I connected the hdd to that
> laptop and viola, dmseg showed this

:)  BTW, did you create all those partitions, or is it an artifact of
having gone belly up?

Just make sure you don't repeat the procedure which got you into this
situation in the first place. :)

Give it a good test from a live CD *BEFORE* you partition or install
anything. I think there are special live CD's for this. Or use a live CD
with the appropriate software.

> Now my question is, What should I choose? Logical volume? or Primary Volume?
> I think I cannot create more than 4 primary volumes on a hdd, and
> since two are already
> occupied, I should create
> /home, /, /usr and /var all logical volumes. (Choice of partitions on
> the basis of discussions above)
>
> Will choosing logical volumes harm any performance on the hdd?

Don't confuse yourself. You're confusing volumes with partitions.

I thought you were going to look at LVM, and therefore as I understand
it, this won't be a concern?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X