Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 17:24:41 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> I remember seeing you or someone writing that multiple partitions
> are not useful. I respectfully disagree. Unless someone is storing a
> humongous amount of files on their system, there should be lots of
> space available on a 1TB drive for Windows and two or three other
> systems.

Yes, no argument there, the question wasn't about total space or
multi-booting, but whether multiple partitions within a single Linux
filesystem were advisable, and if so, which directories and how big.

My contention was that it was vital on a server (and I normally have a
spare one-partition installation of the same OS version on a server, as
well as several partitions within the main OS) but of limited use on a
workstation, and not worth the inevitable wrong guesses about future
needs.

--
Joe