Re: more than 12G of RAM

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 10:20:49 -0500
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

> I'm running Jessie on an AMD64 Gigabyte 970A-D3P board with an FX6100
> processor. I had 2x4G DDR3 sticks in it but some of the programs I
> use were causing excessive thrashing. I added a 1x8G DDR3 stick (got
> a good price on it, much cheaper than adding 2x4G) which resolved the
> thrashing problem.
>
> The BIOS shows I have 16G but free shows only 12G. I also ran free on
> a machine with 2x8G DDR3 running Wheezy and it showed 16G when I ran
> free. This suggests that the kernel is handling 16G (as one would
> expect) in the general case and the issue is likely due to my setup.
>
> Since the BIOS shows the full 16G, the problem doesn't seem to be on
> the mainboard. Is there an issue with running interleaved and
> non-interleaved RAM together on the Jessie kernels?

It sounds to me like you have some issues between your two sets of ram,
the 8G stick and the 2x4G sticks.  Is there a difference in
timings/speed/voltage?  I've never put much stock in people saying that
you shouldn't mix different types of ram if the price is right, but you
might need to change around the placement order.  Assuming the
motherboard supports dual-channel ram, I'd make sure you have the 2x4G
sticks paired up and the 8G stick on its own channel.