Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On 02/08/2014 11:55 PM, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
I wanted to partition the hdd,but now my hdd has been corrupt ...

My next step would be to download, burn, and run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool. Again, beware that bad HDD electronics can damage whatever you plug the HDD into, so choose your Guinea pigs carefully:

- If the computer won't POST or the tool won't run with the HDD in an external case/ dock, try another cable, case/ dock, and/or computer. Try new and old computers and/or equipment. Think carefully before trying an internal connection. If you can't get the tool to work after trying many combinations, then the HDD electronics are toast. Get another drive.

- If/ when you can run the tool, perform all available tests. Next, regardless of the test results, wipe the entire drive (fill with zeros; 750 GB will take a long time). Use a bootable Linux CD or USB drive and dd if the HDD diagnostic tool doesn't have this feature (some lack it). Then run the tool and all the tests again. If the drive passes 100%, you're in luck. If not, get another drive.

If you end up getting a non-new replacement drive, perform the above steps on it.

Once you have a known good drive, plug it into your laptop and see what happens. If it works, you're back to the partitioning question. If not, the next step will be to trouble-shoot the laptop.

I appreciate the fact that you are taking time and replying me. Means
a lot. Thank you!

YW  :-)

David