Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Saturday 08 February 2014 10:21:07 Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Something really bad happened. I went to format all my partitions
> from the windows 8 installation menu (Bootable usb) and when I went
> to format boot partition of windows 100 mb,the installer hanged
> (typical of windows) After waiting for say half an hour, I
> hard-rebooted the laptop and it was stuck on the bios splash
> screen. I could do nothing, could not enter bios,nor could enter
> the boot menu.

I have a Windows free household, but I know well that not everyone is
so lucky.  You have my full sympathy.

> So I took my laptop to the Asus service center. They connected my
> hardisk to a casing and the hardisk was not even detected on their
> computers.
> So they confidently said that your hardisk has been damaged and no
> matter what you do, you cannot revive it. You can get a new hardisk
> for blah blah money.

Don't give up yet.  Have you a friend who could let you look at your
hard-drive yourself?

And, sorry to seem slow, but why would a messed up hard drive prevent
access to the BIOS?  Now a faulty motherboard could, and it is not
unheard of for repairs to fail to function.

> I am so badly screwed. After waiting for two months to get my
> laptop back (motherboard replacement) I am so badly screwed. I so
> badly wanted to prepare for gsoc, literally cried.

Heartbreaking.  I really feel for you.  But don't give up yet.
Formulate a question or series of questions using the advice that
David gave you and see what this list can come up with.  There are
those here who are quite simply magicians.

Nil desperandum.

Lisi