Re: How to block kernel updates

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 07:48 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 10:02 +0000, Joe wrote:
> >>
> >> The risk is about having that happen without noticing. Generally, I
> >> keep an eye on what sid is updating, but even this long after a
> >> release, it's still tens of megabytes a day. I don't check all of them
> >
> > I always read all package names before updating, for each distro I use.
> > For Arch in addition I should read the news on the homepage, but often I
> > don't do it.
> >
> > Newbies are unable to evaluate what package updates could be very risky,
> > so for Debian they should stay with stable and for Arch they always
> > should read the news first.
> >
> > And they never ever should update Ubuntu :D.
>
> My parents upgrade their Ubuntu laptops, iPads, and iPhones the way
> that most non-technical do, when they're prompted to do so.
>
> They don't have any problems and there's no way that they'd be
> interested in checking package names - or understanding these names if
> they read them.

I also had good luck with *buntus, but it's good luck, it could go
wrong, I read it all the times on *buntu lists and I definitively
disagree regarding to iOS upgrades for my iPad 2. I won the iPad, if I
would have bought the iPad, I would be pissed off. And AFAIK it's
impossible to downgrade to the last release of iOS that was stable on my
iPad.