Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On 02/04/2014 11:16 PM, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
... when my computer boots up, it takes like 25 seconds more
to get started after entering the username and password. That is 25 seconds
of more wait after logging in.

That's a symptom of misconfigured and/or conflicting software packages.

Another possibility is insufficient memory.

Another is a dying hard drive. Have you downloaded/ burned/ run the manufacturer diagnostics for your hard drive yet?

If I messed up my system and want to restore back to a clean state, I can keep
my /home intact? And maybe preserve the data?

That's one reason for multiple partitions and/or drives.

Not everybody has access to portable HDDs for backup, do they?

If all you have is one laptop with one hard drive, major system administration tasks are going to be a challenge. It's much easier if you have additional places to put backup data -- external hard drives, USB flash drives, cloud drives, whatever. (You should also burn your data to optical and archive the disks off-site periodically.) A second computer makes system administration easier. So do hard drive bays and caddies. So does a cache of old/ extra/ salvaged parts. Etc..

David