Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 17:49 +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> I have tried xfce and I believe that its a great great desktop environment,
> However I am restricted in using that for a couple of reasons.
> 1) It does not seem to have a good network manager.
> the network manager in gnome lets us define some profiles for different
> networks and you can switch them easily.
>
> For eg I have a static IP address at home and DHCP at my college.
> In gnome I can make two profiles for both and switch them on the fly.
> XFCE has that?
>
> Thunar is a great browser but it lacks in tabbed browsing.
> I cannot open tabs in thunar.
> Also it does not have a network bookmark on the left pane
> to browse the network.
> Nautlus is great but then why do I install gnome dependency on xfce?

Network Manager isn't good, it's bad, however if you like it, you can
use it with Xfce too and don't worry about installing GNOME
dependencies, since Xfce is based on much GNOME stuff. Regarding to
Thunar vs Nautlius, note that if you install all that automatic crap,
than Thunar anyway will use GNOME Virtual File System. Xfce is based on
GTK too. IOW you could use Natilus with Xfce and don't need to worry
about too much extra dependencies, but you still could benefit from the
advantages that Xfce has got over GNOME.