Handbrake crashing

Has anyone seen this behavior in handbrake? I fired it up on both my sid workstation and my sid laptop, and as soon as I click the source and select the cdrom (or sr0 or dvd), it begins scanning the DVD, then the entire app crashes. No errors in the logs, and even when I started from the command line, there were no error messages. I checked bugs.d.o, and didn't find anything resembling the bug

The DVD plays back fine in both mplayer and vlc.

Any ideas?
--b