Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) As you can see in the screenshot, gparted shows that the hdd is
> only 698 gb whereas when purchased it was 720 GB. Any ways to recover
> the lost sectors back?

As people pointed out, GB and GiB are different[1]. However, 720GB is
670.6 GiB, and 698GiB (i don't know gparted) is 749.5 GB; and no one
mentioned the fact that FATs take up space too.

About your disk, 5400 RPMs vs 7200 does make a difference, but you'll
notice it both in Windows and Debian. The slowness you've been
noticing, as people have pointed out, may be due do GNOME and
whichever start-up proggies it has. I'd recommend LXDE, XFCE or
fluxbox instead of awesome though.

As for partitioning - backup your data first. If instead you want to
keep some partitions untouched, the Debian installer allows you to
(but don't go automatic). If you're gonna wipe the disk clean, i'd
recommend using LVM and setting small partitions. You can always grow
them later (shrinking them depends on the underlying filesystem - you
can't shrink XFS).

Don't bother virtualizing windows if you want it for games (but that's
just me), for that you should just keep dual-booting. Careful if
you're reinstalling everything - Windows will clear your MBR, so
install it first (you may partition an NTFS for it and leave the rest
unpartitioned), and only after install Debian.

My 2¢.
HTH,
Nuno

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix