postfix: maildir-style delivery with external MDA?

Hi all,

I'm aware this is a bit off-topic, but as far as I can tell there are
lots of Postfix users on this list and I thought I should try my luck
here before the Postfix lists :)

The setup
---------
I am running postfix on my laptop mostly for sending, but also local
mail (cron, r2e, etc.), maildrop for sorting/filtering to Maildirs and
notmuch for indexing (via a cron job).

The problem
-----------
Since version 2.7.1-1 (current sid) maildrop does *not* remove the first
'From ' line (also called unix style From_) if present as it did before
(see #737383 wontfix for more info) and notmuch complains loudly about
it triggering a loop (the warning ends up as output from cron, which
creates another message for notmuch to complain about and so on).

Things I tried
--------------
My preferred solution would be to configure Postfix to do Maildir-style
delivery via maildrop, but I have checked the Postfix documentation and
done some tests as far as I can tell there is no way to do so. Besides
solving this issue it seems I would get rid of the annoying '>From' at
start of lines. Pointers much appreciated.

I could, of course, work around this in several ways, like use
'home_mailbox = Maildir/' to do the delivery, but then I loose
maildrop's sorting/filtering :(

Constraints
I'd rather not switch away from procmail/maildrop/notmuch if possible
and using some additional filter (reformail -f0 was suggested in
#737383) just seems ugly.

Thanks for reading,
Andrei