Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On 2/5/14, Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I used to use multiple partitions as you do.
>>
>> Nowadays, the only partitions I use are:
>> /boot - about 1GiB
>> / - root partition, the rest
>> This way, it's really simple, and the old reasons (for most home users
>> at least) for having multiple partitions are no longer valid (separate
>> backups, making sure /root does not fill up, etc), since the HDDs are
>> so capacious.
>
> But then I assumed that having all in different partitons helped at the
> time of upgrade? Please prove me wrong.

Assumptions cannot necessarily be proven wrong.

Please prove your assumption is right. If you attempt to do this, you
will find your assumption is wrong.

Also: How do you do upgrade on Debian?
Answer this, and you will also prove yourself wrong.

So, the job of proving is for the student :)

>> Sounds like you might have some other problem though. Your current
>> partition setup should not be a _performance_ problem as far as I can
>> tell, although I would consider it a disk flexibility problem for
>> sure.
>>
>> If you really want multiple partitions (besides a separate /boot) then
>> LVM is your friend - and it future or if you're adventurous, BTRFS
>> instead.
> The HDD I have in my laptop has somewhat low rpms, maybe that's
> the issue?
> Its a sata HDD with 5400 rpms!

I dunno - may be you used to use a Dekstop with SSD.
Why do you say it is "slow"?

>> But WHY do you want them on separate partitions? XY problem?
>
> Already answered you above.

My suggestions/questions are to assist you to find your own answers.

If you can't answer the "why" you want separate partitions, with
knowledge and/ or experience, then you are making an assumption, and
may be you are better to accept someone else's assumption or
experience...

May be you read something, but you didn't say, so can't help you further sorry.

Good luck
Zenaan