Re: Possibly failing disk and smartctl

Matus Valo wrote at 2014-02-04 15:13 -0600:
> Feb  4 20:53:18 zsm-debian smartd[1868]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 3
> Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

> I have read that important pre-failing parameters are
> Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Seek_Error_Rate and Reallocated_Sector_Ct but
> still I can't decide whether disk is failing or not. Can somebody
> help, whether it is needed to replace disk or not? Any help is
> appreciated...

Backup your data if you have not already done so.

If your hard drive is still under warranty, I suggest that you try
getting a replacement due to the unreadable sectors.

If it is not under warranty, you might wish to replace the drive
anyway.  I am not sure how bad unreadable sectors is as a symptom, or
whether failure is imminent.