Re: MythTV from deb-multimedia setup?

On 04/02/14 11:07, Jon N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've built a new machine and installed 64bit Debian testing on it.  I
> also installed MythTV from the *deb-multimedia repository*.

<snipped>

> I did read the README.Debian file for MythTV and tried running 'sudo
> -u mythtv mythtv-setup, but get the message "mythtv-setup: cannot
> connect to X server :0.0".  To make matters perhaps a little more
> troublesome there seems to be a little trouble with the new computer's
> hostname so when I try the suggestion in README.Debian, 'xhost +local'
> (as is, or substituting my hostname for 'local') i get a "...bad
> hostname..." error message.

What does:-
$ hostname
give you?

Does it match the value in /etc/hosts ?

Have you checked the mythtv config file/s for a hostname setting?

> So, my main question is, other than just convenience how much
> difference does it make to be able to run mythtv-setup as myself
> rather that as user 'mythtv'?  Does it not being able for it to access
> the database mean that if I run the frontend as myself it also won't
> be able to access the database?

As Chris pointed out - this is the wrong list problems with packages
from an unofficial repository of Debian packages. If you have a problem
with something other than "which user should you run the installer at"
it's statistically likely the problem will be a result of an
incompatability between debian-multimedia, rather than a problem with
Debian. But you can ask - just don't expect a lot of people to know the
answers.

That said, running a gui app as root 'might' be the cause of your X
server error message.

I'd suggest asking on the Christian's debian-multimedia.org mailing list:-
http://www.deb-multimedia.org/lurker/splash/index.en.html

and/or the mythtv list:-
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users/

After searching those lists for existing answers to that question and
reviewing your logs of course. :)

> Thanks,
> Jon

Kind regards