Re: Confused about dist-upgrade

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jan 2014 at 12:52:05 -0500, Tom H wrote:

>>> The recommended way is
>>>
>>>    apt-get update
>>>    upgrade kernel
>>>    reboot
>>>    upgrade packages associated with any critical services
>>>    apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>>> From memory, this isn't the recommended way for upgrades to Lenny,
>> Squeeze, or Wheezy.
>
> *I* wasn't working from memory when responding to "...to move from, say,
> squeeze, to wheezy, my approach...".
>
>>From memory, an upgrade to Lenny involved having to ensure udev was
> upgraded first. Or maybe that was the upgrade to Etch.

You hadn't specified "from squeeze to qheezy" and you were therefore
implying that it was a general approach.

Still from memory because I don't have the time check at the moment:

The upgrade from squeeze to wheezy didn't involve rebooting between
upgrade and dist-upgrade.

The upgrade from lenny to squeeze involved upgrade, install
linux-image and udev, reboot, and dist-upgrade.

The upgrade to lenny or to etch involved upgrade, install linux-image
and something else, and dist-upgrade.

So there's no single upgrade method...