Re: "cloning" a debian installation

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 09:36:52PM +0000, Kruppt wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, Fabrice Vaillant <fa.vaillant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > to suit my computer. The question I'm asking is, what would be the
> > simplest way(if it is possible) to "clone" my existing installation
> > onto
> > the new ssd.
>
> Yes you can clone it easily with rsync.
> Boot up a LiveCD such as SystemRescueCD on a comp with
> grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sdb2 /dev/sdb
> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)

Just migrated a Wheezy installation to SSD few days earlier. Boot from
live debian, fdisk, mkfs, and rsync are pretty straight forward, but the
grub part is tricky, perhaps because I never really understand how grub
works. I end up let the debian installer do it.

1) install a minimum wheezy
2) boot into live debian
3) copy the /etc/fstab and grub.cfg out, edit uuid if needed
4) rsync -av --delete OLD_Installation/ NEW_Installation/
5) copy fstab and grub.cfg back
6) run update-grub, (it might not necessary, but seems harmless)

--
Chen Wei