Re: How can I secure a Debian installation?

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 11:21 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 31 ian 14, 17:19:08, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> >
> > It's not only common (in some industry sectors 12 *random* characters
> > regularly changed and never repeated is mandated), it's good security.
> > Despite what some will advise entropy is the measure of exhaustion -
> > resulting from *brute* force attacks. 50% of the time a brute force will
> > only require half the entropy to succeed. Due to human bias (failure to
> > use random passwords and *password* *managers*) the majority of the time
> > passwords that exceed 8 characters will be composed solely of words, and
> > brute force difficulty != dictionary attack difficulty (see Niquist and
> > Shannon). A significant percentage of the time those word based
> > passwords will be a phrase... with even lower attack difficulty.
>
> And the obligatory XKCD:
> https://xkcd.com/936/
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Since no one mentioned it on this thread, I better ask:

Isn't it the case where the randomness of the key/password composes the
overall quality of the crypto substitutions in such a way that 4096bit
keys would necessarily provide better protection against cryptanalysis
when compared to dozens of random, valid characters?

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80