Re: making my Wheezy beep. How?

On 2014-01-31, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I need something that I can actually hear even when I not paying
> attention. I know I asked about getting the beep function working, but
> now I want to ask about possibilities of getting the external
> speakers, which I know are working for videos to work for playing a
> recording of a beep sound.  What I'm trying to have is a way to alert
> me to stop working on my computer and go do something else like, for
> instance, a doctor appointment.

It's strange because I lost my internal speaker beep somewhere along the
line; I started a thread here quite a few moons ago, but no one could
say why my beep mysteriously vanished.

Playing around looking for a solution, I unmuted the beep channel in alsamixer,
which caused my beep to transit through my external speakers, when I had them
turned on, a melodious, nearly institutional beep I didn't care for.  So I just
learned to live without any beeping (most people are desirous to turn the damn
thing off and not on, but I possess __l'esprit de contrariété__.

I also notice there exists the beep program for die-hard beep hackers:

curty@einstein:~$ apt-cache show beep
<snip>

 beep does what you'd expect: it beeps. But unlike printf "\a" beep allows
 you to control pitch, duration, and repetitions. Its job is to live inside
 shell/perl scripts and allow more granularity than one has otherwise. It is
 controlled completely through command line options. It's not supposed to be
 complex, and it isn't - but it makes system monitoring (or whatever else it
 gets hacked into) much more informative.
Homepage: http://johnath.com/beep/

Happy beeping.