Uninstalled fglrx drivers. Now laptop heats and fan is always noisy.

I updated some packages on my debian wheezy 7 (64 bit) using the command apt-get -u upgrade and after a reboot, I was on a blank screen. So I booted into recovery and ran startx, which was again a blank screen.

So I uninstalled the fglrx drivers and I was able to boot back on gnome. But now the laptop is getting heated and its fan is always noise. The same does not happens on my windows partition.

The laptop is Dell Latitude N5010 with ati Raedon HD 5400 graphics card.

Uname -r gives me: 3.2.0-4-amd64

Can somebody help me in this case? Should I upgrade my kernel and install fglrx again? Or is there something I am missing with open source drivers?

--
Regards,
Anubhav Yadav