Re: adding a printer

On Fri 03 Jan 2014 at 20:25:53 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> cups was installed, when I first went to print, it wanted to print to
> the pdf printer.. but there was no way for me to install a printer..
> all I was missing was the
> 1 - http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/system-config-printer

When Wheezy is installed you only get system-config-printer if one of
three task-* packages is installed. As said, localhost:631 could be used
for setting up a printer.

   brian@desktop:~$ apt-cache --no-suggests rdepends system-config-printer
   system-config-printer
   Reverse Depends:
     task-xfce-desktop
     task-lxde-desktop
     task-kde-desktop

Having cups installed implies you chose the print server task in d-i.
You mention "the pdf printer"; does this mean you installed cups-pdf
afterwards (it is not included in the print server task)? I can see no
benefit in using it over and above "Print to File" offered by desktop
applications.

Iceweasel (for example) produces a PDF to be sent to the printer.
cups-pdf converts this to PostScript and then back to a PDF. This might
cause you think why you used it in the first place.