Re: Possible to add an LVM to existing Wheezy box

Howard <hcsc2@tesco.net> wrote:
> [...] one partition of 1.7TB purely for filesystem backup data [...]

> The data partition contains several years' worth of incremental backups
> [...] It also provides the historical context of what data was available
> to us during our projects, which can be important.

If the backup is really this important, I would strongly recommend that
you make additional backups elsewhere (offsite). If you rent storage
for this then consider ensuring your data is encrypted. Depending on
how easy it is to access this proposed offsite storage, I'd also suggest
that you replace the local singleton disk with a RAID1 pair.

The RAID1+LVM solution can be implemented as part of your migration to
a new server (two 2TB disks are not expensive at the SOHO end of the
market). The offsite backup can be implemented as soon as is practical,
since it's only adding strength to your existing solution.

Chris