Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:09:02AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> GTK is a PITA and will always cause similar warnings,

I disagree. My .xsession-errors does not contain similar warnings.

> but GTK also does
> cause really serious issues, if you e.g. launch a GNOME editor with root
> privileges, the Microsoft like config thingy's privileges change to root
> and GNOME apps don't work for the user anymore.

That's bad for the unfortunate user indeed. But that's not the GTK+-2
problem, that's gconf problem (probably combined with misconfigured sudo
- i.e. without sudo always_set_home).

> This are not Xfce, KDE
> etc. bugs and they are also not Debian related, this is caused by
> GTK/GNOME upstream's ignorance. GTK and GNOME are crap. Very likely that
> even GNOME doesn't continue using GTK, LXDE for good reasons switches
> from GTK to Qt.

GNOME project plans to ditch GTK+-3? That's interesting, to say the
least. Have you got any proof of that?

Reco