Re: "Best Mail Client" - Was: [closed] A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM, AP <worldwithoutfences@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:46:05 PM Brad Alexander wrote:

> I like kmail's interfaces. It's just the backend encryption that has a

> problem. For whatever reason, it won't let me decrypt and add my s/mime

> certificate on my installation at work, and at home, it uses gpg

Can you please let me know what does that mean, backend encryption I meant. If it has encryption, it could rather be better, in my views.

I have two use cases.

1) My home machine:

I use kmail with gpg keys to sign and encrypt emails. Unfortunately, when I sign+encrypt (I have not tried just signing) to people with whom I use encryption, I have had complaints that the signature verification fails. They are invariably using thunderbird/icedove. Apparently, this is because kmail rewrites the headers (e.g. http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-bugs/2013-August/087109.html)

2) On my work laptop:

We use SSL certificates for signing/encryption. We got them from Entrust as a pkcs12 file. I have, as yet been unable to import them into kmail.

Note that there are a number of still-open bugs in Debian against kmail, kleopatra, and

kmail:

kleopatra:

I'm not sure what the combination of kmail, gnupg-agent, and kleopatra (and who knows what else) is causing my kmail problems.

--b