Re: Request For Sponsor: Bug 731282

On Mi, 04 dec 13, 09:25:25, ChrisofBristol (gmail) wrote:
> I'm told that I need to "file a separate RFS bug against the
> sponsorship-requests pseudo-package".

JFTR, that was me, while triaging bugs filed against unknown packages.

> I have spent hours reading the documentation and I thought that I had
> done this, I am totally mystified about what else I need to do and
> how. Has anyone got any helpful suggestions please?

Let me try to explain in more detail how software gets packaged for
Debian. Let's assume there is some interesting software that you want to
see in Debian, in this case DIY Layout Creator. Let's assume the Debian
package name would be diylc.

If you want to see this software included in Debian you must first
consider whether you want to be a Maintainer and do the packaging
yourself or you just want to propose the package for inclusion.

In the first case you can start by filing an ITP (Intent to Package) bug
against the wnpp package. This is made in order to prevent double work
(i.e. someone else working on the same software without knowing you do
as well) and sometimes to track progress (if it takes too long).

Now you can start actually working on the package. Have you done this?

You initial bugreport only mentions there is a package at some site,
which might suggest you don't even want to maintain it yourself. In this
case please retitle the ITP bug to RFP (Request for Package), to signal
that you don't want to maintain it, but it would be nice for Debian to
have it. Maybe somebody will be interested in maintaining it for Debian.

If I'm wrong and you do intend to be Maintainer you should first prepare
a package and only then start looking for a sponsor (i.e. someone to
upload the package for you to Debian, at least until you gain the
necessary rights to do so yourself).

If something in my above explanations is not clear please follow-up on
debian-mentors (not debian-user). Reply-To is set accordingly.

> By the way this suggest below from the documentation isn't any help
> as "reportbug" errors and so does the alternative suggested in the
> error message.

It is not helpful at all to say "reportbug errors" without providing the
error message :(

Hope this explains,
Andrei