Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I know the story, but I wasn't aware about this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iceweasel_13.png
>
> The Iceweasel logo, but the _Google_ text is: "Thanks for choosing
> Firefox!"

That text is from the Iceweasel start page not the Google start page.
Google didn't say it.  Iceweasel said it.

> What would happen, if a Debian packager would make Iceweasel start with
> about:blank instead of Google?

Since that is one of the standard options I don't think Mozilla would
have a problem with a branded Firefox doing that.  But I am not
Mozilla.  And I didn't think they should have problem with the logos
that they complained about either.  So what do I know?

> Some time ago I decided to contribute to Linux by building packages (not
> for Debian), but then I didn't, because I'm not willing to become a
> lawyer.

It's a dirty job.  And I won't say "but somebody's got to do it."  But
we are all very thankful that people do package things in spite of the
traps and pitfalls involved.  We wouldn't have Debian if no one was
willing to do it.

Bob