Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 12/3/2013 2:24 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 03:56:21PM +0530, AP wrote:
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

Phishing is not virus. Phishing is play tricks on your mind and
senses. Finding ways to make you believe things that are not true. To
the extent that your environment is known to the phishers they have
you at a disadvantage. Note that I said that the phisher attacks you,
not the software that you are using. The warning is half in jest. The
world is not chock full of evil people, really.

And the best way to avoid is to type the website rather to click some link.

Wrong. Evil web sites don't care how you access them, clicking or
typing.

I think what he's referring to is the visible link normally has a recognizable website such as www.example.com, while the actual link takes you to www.invalid.com.

If you always type in the website name, you can't be misdirected like that. Any website subject to phishing will say the same thing - PayPal, for instance. Also my bank.

Jerry