Re: Need help recovering from 'experiment' in firefox

On 20131202_104234, Simon Hollenbach wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2013 19:32, "Paul E Condon" <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> <snip />
> > And I cannot open the 'about:blank' page
> > manually. I have all my bookmarkes sites and can use firefox to access
> > the sites I want, but ---
> >
> > I know I have used 'about:blank' in the past when I had other problems
> > with firefox and I was told to go to 'about:blank' and tweek something
> > to get things working again.
> <snip />
> Hello Paul,
> I suppose you want to access 'about:config', NOT 'about:blank', to access

Yes, that is the source of my confusion. Many thanks.

And on further investigation, I discover that 'about:about' gives a
list of all the defined 'about:*' pages, and 'about:blank' is not in
the list. I suppose a blank page could be instantiated and added to
the list, but would that really be helpful?

For what its worth, it is possible to type a URL into the 'home page'
text box and have it work -- if it is a valid URL. In particular,
filling the box with 'about:config' brings up the page with the button
'I'll be careful, I promise!', and I now have www.google.com as my
home page, contrary to the impression I got from something I read on
this list. It seems to be that firefox/iceweasel requires https
protocol as opposed to plain http for www.google.com, which is an OK
restriction, IMO. In contrast, http://www.nytimes.com works fine.

--
Paul E Condon